Thursday, March 15, 2007

Moncton

Yesterday's journey to Moncton was good. The weather was nice for the drive there and back. My appointment was for 10:45 so I left around 8:45 to give me lots of time. The Hospital parking lot was full and there was a line of stupid people in their cars willing to wait instead of just taking a spot on the street (duh). I pulled around a block up and found 2 hour free residential parking. I didn't actually see my doctor, I saw a different transplant doctor who was filling in for him this time around. She lowered the dose on one of my meds, which is cool because it cuts the cost in half (pretty big deal simce I'm having to pay for the stuff myself now).

I got back to the office around 2 and started transcribing some interview footage. We were a little late getting home, and had whopper wednesday dinner. (argh fattening)

I threw on my grungy glue and paint encrusted clothing and headed downstairs for another edition of cabinetry 101. I got a lot done last night too which is good considering I just wasn't into it on Tuesday. Darrell came down to help me manage the long boards on the joiner and planer, and we got the boards for the base done as well as all theboards for the front panel. Then I started cutting everything to correct size and got some dadoing done, and basically packed it up by 10. I have some pieces to sand tonight before I start gluing them together. I find it easier (especially with intersecting grain patterns) to do most of the sanding first then just fine tune it after the piece is glued.

Here's a few pics from the project so far:

My little gluing station. These are goingto be the sides of the cabinet

Gluing Side panels

The doors. Aside from polyurithane these babies are done... aren't they beautiful?

Doors completed

Last night: Planing the base boards. I had to glue a 1x4 to a 2x4 to get the thickness I needed.

Planing base molding

Darrell takes exact measurements with a calipur:

Using calipers for presise measurements


I took a couple shots of the finished drawers, but they are out of focus. More photos to come when there's something new to photograph.

2 comments:

mare said...

that wood is gorgeous. will you be staining it or just doing a poly?

Blaine Le Roy said...

Just the Poly... why stain wood that's already so beautiful???