Monday, March 19, 2007

Another Busy Weekend

Got home Friday and set up the new Karaoke Machine, but the laser wasn't working and it wouldn't read the disks. I talked to the owner of the Karaoke Closet on Saturday morning and he said "no problem send it back and we'll send a new one". He was really good about it. It's disapointing, but nobody't fault, and it just adds to the list of things I have to look forward to.

We spent Saturday cutting and cutting and cutting. Darrell started building the shelves in the little freezer room. At first I thought this was going to be annoying and he would be getting in my way while I tried to work on the stand, but for the most part it was fine. Sometime around 4:30 or 5 the power went out, so we went to the Dolan Road Irving for a quick bite. Then at 7 the power came back on and we got cleaned up and headed over to Brian & Helen's, for a few drinks and round of Taboo with them, Bertis and his friend Colin. It was Bertis, Brian and I against Colin, Helen and Darrell.... we decimated them. A good startegy with games like Taboo is to split up the couples onto separate teams... there's less shared knowledge that way.

Sunday was back to work on the stand. We got all the plywood cut that needed to be, and then all the extra plywood to replace it, because I F&%^ked up a measurement. We also got a couple good reminders why we don't work with the big tools when we're alone in the house. I was using the mitre saw to put a 45 on one of bottom moldings and something must've wiggled or twisted or god knows what, but the wood smacked me a good one in the knuckle, and I now have a nasty little bruise on my left pinky finger. Then just to reinforce the point, Darrell was helping me take a half inch strip off a large piece of plywood and at the end of the cut, the scrap piece flew back out the saw like it had been shot from a cannon. It went right down the hallway and put a little chip in the drywall. (could've put an eye out.)

Darrell finished the shelves on Sunday and I have just about every cut that needs to be made made. There are a few more, but I have lots of stuff to do that can fill up the week while Darrell and Mike are in Portsmouth, and now that the shelves are finished and all that crap is up off the floor I have more room to do it.

Nice Shelves, Ja?

Darrell's Shelves

More pieces of the stand:


The base pieces. The molding on the far side is the one that twisted and wacked me in the knuckle, the end was also screwed because of it. Luckily I had long cut off ends for the long molding and was able to cut a new 45 piece to be glued onto the end of the screwed one. (that will be one of tonight's chores)

Stand Base Pieces


Door Drawers and more. Those are just the boxes for the drawers, the fronts are laying on the bed beside them, but you can't realy see them that well. If you look on the other side of the bed on the floor...that giant white box contains the aquarium that will be going on the stand when it's finally finished.

Doors, Drawers and More

As you can see the entire basement is completely overrun with the project

More Gluing

And here is my dado setup.

Dado Setup


More pics when there's more done.

I have a fairly easy schedule this week as far as Cabaret goes, in fact I have nothing until Thursday, so I should get a lot done on the stand.

The past two weeks it's been nearly impossible to get to the gym because Mike was away at the Winter Games and Darrell was constantly out shooting. Now that they are both out of town, I don't know if I'm going to be able to get in this week either. Hopefully I can find some time each day to lock the door and wander down the road... although, cutting and sawing, and sanding and gluing, and lifting all those boards over and over if quite a Workout in and of itself... So if I don't make it there, I probably won't suffer too badly because of it.

No comments: