Wednesday, March 07, 2007

First Read Tonight

Tonight is the first read through for Cabaret, it should be fun. I doubt I actually have anything at all to do, since I'm pretty sure the chorus boys/waiters probably don't have anything to say, but it's still exciting to get going and see what's in store.

Another trip to Home Depot after work yesterday, this time with my materials lists. I bit the bullet and got all the wood I need with the exception of one oak 2x4 which I will have to get at Kent, and two sheets of oak plywood (For the back and bottom)which we can't get until we find someone with a truck to pick it up. It was a very expensive trip to Home Depot, but we now have nearly all the materials we need.

All the 1x4x8s we looked at were bowed or warped, but they had some really nice 1x8x8s so we got those and ripped them on the table saw when we got home. It sounds kind of stupid to rip a board in half only to have to glue it together again when you laminate the panels, but it has to be under 6 inches to go through the joiner, and it has to go through the joiner so you know you're staring with a flat side... you absolutely can't trust the lumber you buy to be square or level even if you spend through the ass to buy dressed lumber. We got the boards for the top, sides, and door panels joined & planed last night, then I glued the door panels together and called it a night. Since the reading is tonight there will be no more wood working until Thursday.

No comments: