Monday, April 23, 2007

Long & Expensive weekend!!!

I got the stand all finished and the aquarium set upon it on Friday.
Saturday I had a musical rehearsal at 11 am so there was no sleeping in for me. I got there and sang two ladies four times, then had nearly four hours to kill before my 3 o'clock Dance rehearsal. It really kind of wasted my entire day. My choice... waste four hours uptown, or waste gas on a trip home and back. I ended up meeting Darrell out at the vortex to have a look around Village Pets in McAllister mall.... I should have gone to the gym instead (that's already paid for). We heard some awful stories about problems with the tanks that come from Walmart (where Darrell's Uncle got ours). It seems things at Walmart are cheap.... not just price wise. The glass in the Walmart tanks is half the thickness of the glass in main brand tanks like Hagen. As a result Walmart tanks can bow when they are filled with water (all tanks bow slightly once the water gets in but the quality of the corners and the thickness of the glass keeps them from falling apart). There are even stories of the front of the Walmart tanks just falling right out. The thought of 55 gallons of water on our new laminate floor wasn't very apealing... so we decided to go with a Hagen tank. Diane at Village Pets showed us the 55 gallon Hagen and the dimensions were identical to the tank we already had... so there was no worry about it fitting on the custom built stand. One thing I had taken into account was future expansion so I made the stand about 6 inches deeper than it had to be... as a result instead of buying the 55 gallon tank we upgraded for a few dollars more to an 80 gallon tank.... Like I said expensive weekend. I got the tank and the biofoam backer, and Darrell got the new filter and the gravel. We have decided that we are going to do a salt water reef tank which is more work, but there's so much more you can do, and so many more varieties of fish. Add in coral and all the other options you have with salt water over fresh plus the investment of time and money that's already gone into it and it only seems right to go with the reef tank. It will take about two months of set up to get all the levels etc right, before a fish ever enters into the water... but we're patient people.

The 80 gallon tank really fills up the space... the dog pictures are going to move to the wall above the bed.

Upgraded to 80 gallon tank

It actually looks like the stand was specifically designed for this tank, even more so than the 55 gallon one (it kind of was because I was allowing for growth):

looks like the stand was actually built for the 80 instead of the 55

Good thing I hadn't started designing and building the topper.


After my expensive outing to the vortex, it was back in for dance rehearsal. We got Willkommen finished (at least from my perspective within the song) and also finished two ladies (which is a scream... it is so fun and, while it may not be the HIGHLIGHT of the show, it will certainly be one of the more memorable moments)

Sunday was another day taken up with rehearsals (as we get nearer and nearer to May everyday is going to be taken up with rehearsals). We ran the entire show... off book. Parts of it went extremely well, parts of it not so much. We are well ahead of where we would normally be with this much time before going to the theatre, but that can be a dangerous place to be, since there could be a tendancy to slack off a bit. I'm pretty confident that won't happen, since we have a fantastic cast.

After rehearsal I rushed home and got ready to go out. We went to Jake's & the Outback for Shawna's 19th birthday party. It was Karaoke at the outback and I got to sing quite a bit, which was fun. Darrell and I had a bite at Jakes before everyone else arrives... the food was really good. We haven't been there in a very long time, but we may go back in the near future.

I was supposed have tonight off from rehearsing, but after the full run yesterday Jenn wanted to have another look at Willkommen, so there will be dancing. I will have to time shift Heroes.

New episode of Heroes tonight... finally. I'm actually so excited it's a little sad. Although, I'm not the only one.

No comments: