Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Holidays

Wow it seems like a very long time since I've been at work. I took from the Friday before Christmas right up until today off. It was very nice and relaxing.

There was the usual flurry of activity leading up to and during Christmas and then we just coasted through the rest of the season.

We had Christmas Dinner at Bertis' Place with the Bonds, and I made everyone Artic fleece robes. I did my own early in the week before Christmas and got Bertis' done in the evenings after work throughout the week. The Friday I took off work was a very productive day sewing wise. Helen was going stir crazy at home so she dropped in just to hang out until Brian got off work and watched me make Brian's robe (although she didn't know it was Brian's she just thought I was making it for Darrell.) I managed to get her to try on my robe and made a few mental notes about how it fit her, then we all met up at the Dolan Road Irving for a bite when Brian got off work. Darrell had to work all Friday and got home fairly late. He was shooting a blues concert at the Imperial. After the Irving I headed home and finished Helen's robe and cut out all the pieces for Darrell's before calling it quits for the day. Saturday I did all the sewing on Darrell's robe, a bit of shopping, then Brian & Helen came over in the evening to hang out and have a couple drinks. Then Sunday (Christmas eve) I sewed a Stocking for Brian and Helen's dog Yorkie then closed up my little sweat shot for the Holidays.

Christmas morning Darrell and I got up and opened presents. We both went a little over board on the gift giving. I got an 8 inch Henkel knife, a bottle of Drakaar Noir cologne (I've loved it since I was 20), an mp3 player for the gym, the Da vinci Code Dvd, a 2 KG bar of chocolate... that's right KG, and bunch of other things. My Mom sent us $100 which we put towards a new stand up mixer, and my sister sent us pictures of the family and the boys with a Chapters gift card. My grandmother sent out a package with a tin of chocolates and two retractable leashes that are painted like dogs faces and have flashlights in the nose. I got Darrell a Hot wash washer fluid thing from Canadian tire, an Andrea Boceli CD (yes he actually wanted one), a Peter Gabriel CD, and a new car stereo to play them on. His old stereo is an original part from his 97 vehicle so it kept spitting out any cds with music he burned himself, now he can play anything including Mp3s.

We headed up to Bertis' around 2 and had a fantastic Roast Beef dinner with Yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes, and brocolli at about 4. then we had some nice eggnog and played a couple rounds of Taboo. We laughed a lot and had a really good time.

Boxing day we went to Brian and Helen's for an improptu get together. Chad and Nancy were there and we all played Crainium which was hilarious.

The rest of the week flew by pretty quick. Saturday we went to Chad and Nancy's place for the evening. It was the first time we've been to their new place. They found a beautiful house on the west side with hardwood and heated tile floors. I really liked it.

Sunday we had a new Years Party at Brian and Helen's place. Helen's Mom Margaret is here from England, she got in on the 27th I think could be the 28 those days all run together in my mind. We saw her at Chad and Nancy's the night before as well. So Brian, Helen, Margaret, Bertis, Chad, Nancy, Darrell, and I all rang in the new year with a potluck dinner, some nice cocktails, a rousing game of Taboo followed by a very close game of Cranium, and a bottle of champagne. Chad and Nancy and their chocolate Lab Bailey stayed in our guest room that night and we started the first day of January (as is mine and Darrell's only real tradition) with a breakfast of Eggs Benny and hashbrowns. Nancy and Chad added to the feast with a nice sweet juicy pineapple.

Tuesday (the 2nd) we had planned to go into work but didn't make it past the couch. I didn't even make it into clothes and spent the entire day in my robe watching tv and dvds. I managed to watch a lot of the Christopher Reeve Superman box set over the holidays. I'm don't think I had actually ever seen Superman 4 before yesterday, and there are still a lot of extra features left to get to for future veiwing.

Today we are back to work and I will be posting some pictures from the holidays to my flikr pages some time today hopefully. I will also be hitting the gym this afternoon to start undoing some of the holiday damage. All that Chocolate, I'm suprised my gut doesn't look like a Toblerone.

No comments: