Friday, January 19, 2007

Apples

We stopped by Stirling on Rothesay Ave on our way home a couple days ago and picked up some apples. We'd heard of the place before and driven by it often enough but never ever stopped before that. I can honestly say we won't be driving by without stopping too many times in the future. I'm a freak about apples, I love em, love em, love em. But we don't buy them as often as we should because they are so damn expensive. We both only eat the Red & Golden Delicious apples, but they're priced at the grocery store like they contain actual gold.... I mean come on we're talking about something that, unlike Money, actually does grow on trees. Anyway, Stirlings has basket upon basket of beautiful, Nova Scotia Grown, apples of all varieties for half the price of the grocery store... and they're really good. I got 6.2 pounds of red delicious apples for 5.95, at Superstore they are nearly 2 dollars a pound. They also have uncooked frozen pies of all descriptions. I generally like to bake my own pies, and not wanting to toot my own horn too much, am actually really good at it... but I picked up a cherry pie for 4.50 just to try them out.... and wow! Well worth the 4.50.

I know it's not a big deal, and probably a little silly... but if you want good apples stop in to Stirlings on Rothesay avenue it's definitely the best deal in SJ. They're between Halifax Seed and the exit to the highway, a white building that has Buy Apples in red letter on the from. If you make it to the hanger shaped convience store before the exit you've passed it.

3 comments:

Deb @ Sugarfused said...

I love apples, too. I have a Gala on my desk right now to eat for lunch later today.
One local store carried apples up until just recently that were called "Ambrosia". They were the best!

mare said...

i love their cherry pies, they're my go-to treat in a pinch pie. so delicious, with that little bit of tang... warm with a scoop of really good vanilla ice cream on the side... yum. :d

Gilbert said...

I'm glad you mentioned Stirlings. I've known all along they were there but I have never been in. We do eat a lot of apples in my house so I'm going to check it out real soon.