Thursday, March 23, 2006

HMS Pinafore

Went to HMS Pinafore with Bertis Last night.... Loved it. I wasn't familiar with the show before hand, so it was refreshing and new to me. The singing was excellent. The young Tenor was absolutely incredible. He had a very high, very hard part and made it sound effortless. The set was fairly simple and no big deal really, but when you have a bunch of men wandering around in little white sailor suits, whose looking at the set? I did notice that the mark from "Sight Unseen's" revolving set could still be seen quite clearly in places on the stage though.

Now that life has settled down to it's normal frantic pace I have been able to start into "The Eagle" by Jack Whyte, the final novel in his Historical fiction version of the Arthurian legend. I've had it for a couple weeks, but haven't had time to sit down and enjoy it. If you're not familiar with his novels but are a fan of Historic novels, or a fan of King Arthur you should read them. They are a look at Britain at the fall of the Roman Empire and try to explain the circumstances and possibility of King Arthur and Camolot without all the magic and fantasy. You almost feel like it could really have happened.

5 comments:

Chris W said...

Those are great books. I read most of the series a few years back. Since then I've gotten a couple in hardcover, and am always keeping my eyes opened for others. I got "Clothar the Frank" for 9 dollars from Coles recently, but never did read it...

Blaine Le Roy said...

It's really good... In case you haven't guessed Clothar is Lancelot, and he is the narator of that and the current book "The Eagle". I don't know how long the Eagle's been out yet, but Coles usually seels all their hardcovers off for about $10 a year after they're released to flush out their old stock. I noticed that with anne Rice's books, whenever she released a new one the previous one's hardcover went on sale for $9.99.
Jack Whyte is done with Arthur after this last book and is a starting a Trilogy on the Knights Templar.... I can't wait until they start hitting the shelves.

Chris W said...

I just started on "Clothar" last night, and when I took it off the shelf, I noticed that I did buy "The Eagle" -- I'd gotten it, along with another book, after Christmas with some gift cards, and forgotten entirely. I know what I'm reading for the next little while now...

Blaine Le Roy said...

The only one's available in hardcover in Canada are Uther, Clothar and the Eagle... the rest are in a largeer paper back type binding. I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head. So if you already have the trade paperbacks of them there's really no point spending the extra money on the lager paper back versions.
I'm about a third of the way through the Eagle so far and it's a pretty good story. I can't say I'm as riveted as I was in the other books yet, but it's not easily put down either.

Chris W said...

The only other one I've got is (I think) the first one, in hardcover -- found it at a booksale. I do want to pick up the others some time...