Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Setting the Stage

Yesterday I managed to make it out to the Setting the Stage event at the new SJTC building. I almost didn't make it, I got in the Zone while working on an ad and when I glanced at the clock it was 11:56. Luckily the building is only about five doors up from us.
It's a really exciting time to be part of SJTC and I can't wait until things really start happening in the new space. There will be administration and rehearsal space, as well as set building, prop & costume storage areas, and basically anything else a flourishing theatre company could need. My hat's off to the board of SJTC and especially to Stephen Tobias for his vision and tireless hard work on all our behalf. Without them we wouldn't have a theatre club to be part of, and I really appreciate everything they've done and the years of hard work and dedication that went into making it happen.
I also managed to get my registration for winging it filled out and sent in yesterday. In case you don't know, Winging it is part of this weeks Theatre on the edge, where participants will be broken into groups, and each group given a line and an opject. Their task is to take these things and come up with a ten to fifteen minute original play... written, rehearsed, off book, staged, costumed, props, sound, and tech... to be performed in front of a live audience within 24 hours. Okay how fun is that?
I have avoided getting involved in any plays etc over the summer because I just don't want the commitments. We're working on our yard and the weather has been so unpredictable that it's just nice to be able to drop everything when the sun comes out and not worry about having to be someplace or do something specific. But taking 24 hours to put together a play with a group... that's just toooooooo fun to pass up.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

And it solves the whole committment issue too. ^_^ I'm also registered; I think it will be a blast!