Friday, August 18, 2006

Reality Shows

I try to avoid reality shows like the plague with the notable exception of the Amazing race, but I have been watching Rock Star (I got sucked in last year just because I'm a huge INXS fan)and while I'm not a big Tommy Lee fan, the show is actuially pretty good. I think Dilana has a really good chance of winning. She's the most memorable each week and the most consistent. My onlu problem with the show... they want too much of my time, I mean really three nights. I normally watch it on NTV on tuesday so I get the monday show right before, and more often than not I don't watch the results show.

Another one that sucked me in was America's got Talent, which was really surprising since I have no patience for flat singing etc, and don't particulary care for Regis either. They sucked me in with the buzzers and the gong show feel of the early shows, then when the gong show part went away I was already invested. They asked the question Does America have Talent and the answer was a resounding yes. The variety of the acts was really good. There is no question now, America's Got Talent, although after the results of last nights final vote one might wonder if America has Taste. I found the performance of the girl who won terrible. She was 12, she was cute, she really wailed on the big high notes that get the crowds cheering, unfortunately that's all people seem to remember because her enunciation was awful, I barely understood a word she sang, and on every other note in the song that wasn't a huge show stopper she was pitchy at best and downright flat most of the time. It was painful to listen to. The little Yodalling girl was a much better singer so far as technique and vocal control are concerned and she had a better stage presence. The clog dancing groups were both awsome, especially those kids who also played the fiddle while they were dancing... very Leahy. I really liked the Quick change act, but have to agree with the arrogant English judge that they showed the exact same routine everytime and I was frankly bored with it by the end. He went about saying it all wrong when he critisized them, but the point he was trying to make was, if they had an hour long show.. there must be other elements to it that they could bring to the stage and show the audience instead of just doing the exact same routine over and over. The routine they did was really good, and really quick but based on it alone, I would call them a great opening act for a million dollar headliner. It was an interesting show all in all, but I doubt I'll be tuning in for a second season.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Unfortunately with all the Christinas and Mariahs in the world, pop culture has told young singers that they don't need to be good, they just need vocal acrobatics thrown in once in a while. That isn't really skill in my opinion.

I don't have cable. I hate tv in general. :-P

Amber @ Cafe Physique said...

I tried to resist the pull of Reality TV for a long time, but I've been inevitably sucked in. I watch the really corny ones too...America's Next Top Model, The Biggest Loser, and...ummmm...I'm embarrased to say this...this is REALLY bad...The Girls Next Door! It's good to me - I guess curiosity really did kill the cat.

Blaine Le Roy said...

I haven't seen the biggest loser, but it's hosted by Caroline Rhea, who I just love, and it's about people getting healthy... so I could probably get behind that one.