Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Steady as she goes.

We have been plugging away at work and home. There's not a lot that's going on of any note though.

The weekend was nice. We went to Bertis' place on Friday for Brian's Birthday celebration. We spent the evening sitting out on the front porch, and had burgers and an amazing cake Bertis made. It was a beautiful night and he has a great view of the river. As alway we had alot of laughs and more than a couple martinis (although I only had a couple beer early in the evening as I was driving).

Saturday we got the final trellis put up on our flower boxes, and I moved my Clematis over to it. It is just a tiny starter plant and has an entire 8x4 foot trellis to fill so it may take awhile. I was going to move the wysteria over as well and leave the first trellis for the Kiwi vines, but it just seems so ideally situated at the corner of the house soaking up both morning and afternoon sun that I left it there. Hopefully it doesn't have to fight too hard for space with the kiwi... at any rate I'll cut back anyone who steps out of line hahaha. If the wysteria survives the winter, I'll get another one next spring for the bottom trellis, but they're too expensive to experiment with so I'm sticking to just the one for now.

We seemed to be really busy over the weekend working around the yard etc, but we didn't do anything big. Just lots of little maintenance type thing... mowing the grass, weeding, pruning trees.. that kind of thing. Of course we made a trip to the lake so the dogs could go for a swim (that kind of goes without saying since the lake is a five minute walk from the house).

I've been neglecting my house plants lately, but they don't seem to mind. House plants actually thrive on a little neglect from time to time. My cocoa tree is going crazy with all the heat and humidity... it has tonnes of new growth and blooms on it... I even had to cut a couple branches back to keep it out of the shower curtain (I am trying to encourage it to grow up as compared to out). I still haven't figured out how to get cuttings that will actually root from it yet. Sticking them in water doesn't work, rooting powder and soil don't seem to do the trick either. I tried slicing into the branch, adding rooting powder and some moist soil and then wrapping it with cling wrap while it was still attached to the tree, but I think I may have done it wrong. If any Horticulturists out there have any suggestions I would much appreciate it.

All in all it was a pretty lowkey relaxing kind of weekend.

Monday was back to work... still working on changes to my animation (really starting to lose interest in the project too which means it's time to finish it and get it gone). I've got another big animation just waiting for me to finish this one, and I'm itching to get to it.. plus I'm also working on a commercial for Rogers TV listing that involves some animation (just waiting for a final script). Busy Busy Busy. Darrell and Mike are booked solid with stuff as well, so it's heads down and full steam ahead for the next while.

After work Darrell and I popped over to the west side for dinner at Romanos. As always the food was great.. he had the Spagetti and Meatballs, and I had the Lasagne... it was a really nice treat.

2 comments:

Christa Giles said...

http://www.icco.org/questions/propagation.htm

Cocoa link for you :)

Wysteria is lovely, hope yours does well.. that's one of the things I miss about not hanging out at the Odyssey anymore, the beautiful scent at night on the patio (this was better before the smoking ban came into effect for all indoor areas, so now smokers pack the patio all the time and drown the plant anyway, sigh)

I'm melting at the moment, VERY warm here in Vancouver.. and it is just about time to head out to waterpolo and be cool for a couple hours :)

X.

Blaine Le Roy said...

Thanks for the links. It's been sooooooooooooo long since I've been to the Odyssey. Saint John has nothing like it.