Monday, June 26, 2006

Soggy - ish weekend

It rained for most but not all of the weekend, so I pretty much finished my rainy day project of recovering the loveseat. All I have left to do is the bottom skirting.
I'm hoping I have enough fabric to peice it together without having to go back for more. When I bought it, it was on sale, but it's not anymore and I don't want to pay $25.99 a meter for more of it. I also want to do something a little different with the front of the arms. Normally you use the cap peices that were already on the couch and cover them with your fabric then nail them in, but I want to get a nice peice of maple and cut it to the right shapes, sand it, round off the edges, and give it a nice coat of polyurithane instead. There is supposedly a mill in Quispam that sells undressed maple so hopefully I can find them, other wise it's $30 at Kent or Home Depot for a piece the size I'd need. All costs considered, we got the loveseat given to us, the fabric was on half price (plus my club elite discount) so 8 meters came to $100, there was about $20 for thread and some new needles, and even if I have to pay $30 for the wood.... $150 for a new loveseat is pretty damn good.

No sooner did I put in the final few staples in my Loveseat on Sunday, than the sun came out. It actually turned into quite a nice day. I managed to do the laundry and dry everything on the clothes line. Darrell strung out the hammock. Bertis and the Bonds came over, and we BBQ'd. Brian and Helen brought their dog Yorky, so he played with Elton and Tiff. We took them all to the lake for a swim, I ended up wading out to about my knees after a the odd dropped stick and the water was actually quite warm. If I had been dressed for it I would've considered going in for swim. Maybe next time.

I had hoped to go the auction for Jamie, but something came up with Darrell's computer and he had to go into the office to fix it, and by the time everything was taken care of it was too late.

Darrell braced our back deck. It was starting to get a little swishy. The original braces were just nailed in, so over time the whole thing worked itself loose. Darrell got some heavy duty bolts and really cinched it up. The whole deck really should be rebuilt. It won't happen this year, but it may a project next year... we'll see how the money flow is.

I managed to get a little gardening in. It's funny... when I was younger I could never get what all the fuss was about when it came to gardening, but now I find it very relaxing and enjoyable. Plus it's really neat to watch things grow. You plant some stuff, you spend some time pulling weeds, you water, you mulch, and then you go out and are rewarded with new growth each day. It's a pretty simple pleasure and it makes your yard look nice.

No comments: