Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Playing in the workshop

After work I got creative in our workshop. Last fall, when all the garden centres were selling off all their inventory I picked up a tiny little blue spruce for the yard. I planted it out front and plan to decorate it at christmas time when it gets bigger (at the moment it's not yet 3 feet tall.). No sooner had I planted it than one of the resident rabbits came over to check it out, I thought it was cute, until the rabbit started eating it. We scrambled together some old wire shelving from an ill advised indoor greenhouse purchase and wired them together in a little protective fence around the tree. Unfortunately it looks bad and isn't big enough, and the poor little tree is cramped inside it, so after work I scrounged the workshop for scrap plywood and 2x4s and started building a little picket fence to protect it. It actually turned out really well and went together quiete easily. Each pannel is two feet wide and the pickets are two feet tall. I even got to use my new air stapler on it. Unfortunately I forgot a step I don't usually forget and made more work for myself. Because it was a quicky little craft project... I forgot something very important. Once you finish cutting all your pieces... stain them before you assemble. Admittedly it means you have to wait to assemble until the next day, but if you go ahead and put it together then slap a coat of stain on it, instead of staining individual pieces that you can pick up and flip over... you end up staining a picket fence. Anyone whose ever painted or stained a fence knows what I'm getting at... it is time consuming and a pain in the ass. I still can't believe I skipped that step and found myself up until midnight staining my cute little picket fence... Oh well live and learn. Sadly it's a mistake I will probably make again in the future because it's easy to forget. Today after work, my fence should be dry and ready to install around my tree.

1 comment:

Amber @ Cafe Physique said...

Don't feel bad...I DEFINITELY would have forgotten that step too. Plus, I'm impatient (not good), so even if I had remembered, I probably would have tried to put it up first anyway b/c I wouldn't want to wait for the stain to dry.