Monday, June 18, 2007

Weird Weekend

We had a really good weekend weatherwise and took the oportunity to catch up on some long overdue yard work. It was only the second time this year we've cut the grass, so you can probably imagine what that looked like. Darrell also got a really good start on cleaning up the huge mess I made in the basement building that aquarium stand. I will be building another one in the very near future because we have a larger tank on order that should be arriving on Thursday...... I know, we're crazy but what the hell. We're going to deal with the ich problem by putting all the fish and only the fish in the larger 130 gallon tank for a month with no sand or gravel for the parasite to reporduce in. With no fish in the main tank any parasites in it, will die with no hosts and, since crabs and shrimp can't be hosts to it, they will stay in the main tank while the others decompress and get healthier. Then when everything is clear again the fishies will move back to their home in the 77 gallon tank and we will slowly (Slowly being the key word that I will have to continually say over and over again to Darrell because once he gets going it's hard to pull him back) put together the components for the larger tank and get it all up and running in the downstairs rec room. Then everything from the main tank will move there and a couple new fish will be added as well as a better lighting system and some funky corals. The 77 gallon tank that is upstairs right now will stay exactly where it is and will become the home to a snowflake eel and possibly a triggerfish and a puffer fish depending on compatability.
Aside from all the fish stuff, it was a pretty laid back weekend at home. I was craving tacos for a couple days, so I popped out and got the stuff. I invited some people over but they were all busy so Darrell and I pigged out and had a lot left over for another taco fest on Sunday.... there's still some stuff left for when we get home.
Called my Dad for Father's day, and got some weird news... turns out my aunt and uncle are getting a divorce... that totally blows my mind because they're the last people on earth I would've figured would separate... they had such a rocky beginning and overcame all those problems way way back that I figured there was probably nothing that could tear them apart now after 39 years together, but what do I know, I live on the other side of the country and only seem to manage to get home once every five years. Then another odd thing happened. I was talking to my grandmother and asked her about a cousin of mine (my aunt gave her up for adoption when she was born for a lot of complicated reasons that I was too young to understand and not willing to ask her about now because it's none of my business)and she told me as much as knew about her. My aunt went through the process of trying to find her a few years ago and was given the basic information (her name and where she was adopted out too, but not much more came of it)... so anyway I typed the name into facebook, and a girl came up who seems to match everything I know and looks exactly like a younger version of another of my aunts... it was spooky. I couldn't help sending her a message but I'll be surprised if I hear back from her... I mean would you respond if some crazy stranger sent you an e-mail that said... Just wondering, are you adopted, because I think I'm your cousin?

No comments: