Monday, May 15, 2006

Shoveling & Hauling & Raking... Oh My

That about sums up the weekend. We got a tandem load of top soil delivered and spent Saturday Shoveling it into wheelbarrows and hauling it over to its' new home in the yard. It was very very hard work, especially for Darrell who did about 2/3 of it. I don't know where he gets the stamina... I was having a hard time. We got the majority of the pile done before quitting for the day.

We were planning to go out to Brian & Helen's with Bertis for drinks, so I headed off to the liquor store in Rothesay and on my way back decided to see if Superstore Garden center had anything worth stopping for yet. Somehow my car must've got word that I got my Tax refund on Friday because after I had wandered around the garden center for minute, it decided it didn't want to start anymore. I called home for Darrell to come out and see if he could figure it out, but we ended up having to call CAA and have it towed out to Darrell's mechanic in Black River. (CAA is worth every penny that tow would've been about $150) I still haven't heard what's wrong with it, but the engine light comes on and the Security light flashes, so I'm hoping it's a switch or something easy like that. We did manage to get out to Brian & Helen's place and the five of us sat around and had a couple drinks and planned the long weekend a bit. We rented a cabin out in Peggy's Cove for the 20 & 21... it's going to be very fun, I can't wait. I've got so many things on the go right now it will be nice to just be somewhere else with nothing to worry about for a couple days.

Sunday was "Move the rest of the pile, rake it all out and seed it day". Another long day with lots of hard work. We got from the back corner of the house all the way across to the corner of the deck layered with top soil, raked, light layer of Peat moss, and grass seed... done with one dumptruck load of top soil, not bad. We are going to need two more loads to finish the rest of the back yard. I came into town for 12 thinking there was a production meeting and then realizing that the e-mail had said Saturday....for some reason I only looked at the time not the date, I must be getting old. I called my Mom, Stepmom, and Grandma and wished them all Happy Mother's day. I didn't do much in the way of treating myself on Sunday, although I did go out on Saturday and pick up a nice pair of steel toe landscaping boots from Work Wear World. They got a lot of use this weekend and will come in handy when I have to go to the refinery to take pictures and what not.

I hauled most of the rocks we dumped over the bank back up and used them to ring the garden area we created up by the well, when we took the front garden under the living room window out. Then I put some nice red colored cedar mulch in it and around the bushes planted there... it looks a lot nicer.

We have a load of wood being delivered today to build the new garden boxes for the front and side, as well as the wood to finish the moulding in the bedroom. So we have a very busy week ahead both at and away from work.

No comments: