Friday, May 12, 2006

Halifax

My trip to Halifax yesterday, was pretty much the same as any other. Dr Cuban says he sees an improvement in my skin, I don't, but he does. He only sees me once every three months and I see me everyday, so he would be the one to notice not me. He Lowered my dose on one of my meds, which is awsome and sent me off with several hundreds of dollars in drugs from the Hospital pharmacy, a poke in the arm to take blood, and a return appointment for 3 months from now. Same old same old.

This time the drive back was lot better since it stays light until much later in the night, and wasn't even really getting "dark" until I got home around 9:15. There is one part of the drive I really love though, and that is just being alone on the road for four hours each way with the stereo blasting my favorite music. Darrell doesn't like a lot of my music so I try to listen to things we both like most of the time, unless it's a really long trip then all bets are off. Besides when we travel together we usually talk most of the way there. When I am by meyself however, it's stereo turned up and singing at the top of my voice for four hours straight each way.

I got few steps closer to being in a comfy place with Crucible sound today. We'll be taking the camera home this weekend so I can create the sounds I'm missing.

We have nothing planned for the weekend, probably just hang out and work on the yard, but I did realize during my appointment that Sunday is the 14th which is significant.

Aside from being Mothers Day, the actual day May 14 is significant to me for many many reason, not the least of which being that Darrell and I first got together on May 14, 1998 so Sunday will be the 8th anniversary of that. But it's also the anniversary of the day I received my Donor Bone Marrow. The people at the hospital says it's kind of like a second birthday, and it is in a way. So Sunday will mark 7 years since I got my transpant and became Leukemia Free. It left me with a bunch of other fun little side effects from Graft vs Host disease that I still deal with seven years later, but all in all a pretty small price to pay. The day I recieved the Donor marrow came after three days of high dose chemo therapy and three days of full body radiation, then on May 14, 1999 I was confined to my room on the transplant ward and received the bone marrow of an anonamous person somewhere in the world. Strange to owe something so big to someone I've never met and may never ever get the chance to say thank you to. Just some good hearted person who was on the internation bone marrow registry and got a call one day that said you match someone who needs a transplant would you be willing to donate, and said yes. Since I may never meet this person and be able to say thank you face to face I guess the best thing I can do is look after myself and make their gift worthwhile.

Oh hey, PS, May 14, 1999... the day they confined me to the isolation room in the Bone marrow transplant ward was also the day I quit smoking. I started smoking when I was 14 and gave it up just five days before my 28th birthday (oh yeah forgot to mention my birthday is May 19 so it's only fitting that my "Second Birthday" should be around the same time)... so When I gave it up I had quite literally been smoking for half my life at that point, and really how much does the first 14 years of your life really factor into that equation... so I could almost say I had smoked for the majority of my life at that point.

So Sunday I may have to go out and treat myself to something... I don't know what, but something.... after I call my Mom of course.

No comments: