Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Weekend

I thought after Christmas Carol was over life would slow down a little but it just hasn't, If anything it's gotten a lot more hectic. I've been trying to get ready for Christmas.. Darrell and I aren't normally big Christmas type people, but my Mom is flying out from Calgary this year so we are trying to bump up the Jolly Ho Ho Ho thing because of it. Which makes me a very busy person.
I am working on something extra special for my Mom that requires sewing. When my Mom was a little girl my Great Grandma used to sew flannel PJ's & Nightgowns for everyone and on Christmas eve everyone got to open them and wear them to bed... and the whole family would be wearing their new jamies for Christmas morning. This is something Great Grandma did right up until she died ten year ago, and when you consider she had seven kids and of those had four or five and all of those turned around and had two or three... that makes for a lot of sewing. After Great Gramda died... my sister started buying my Mom a flannel night gown every year, but since she's going to be here this year I thought I would be cool if I got out the sewing machine and carried on a family tradition. Of course by carry it on I mean for my Mom, Sister, Brother-in law, and nephew... not the whole clan. So I am still up to my ass in flannel. I have finished my Mom's nightgown and a PJ set for my sister, and have started to work on my Brother inlaw James' Pjs. I have a really cool patern that is father/son.. so James and Cole will match. I think Cole will get a kick out having PJs that match his daddies. So pretty much every free moment (and there aren't a lot of them) have been spent sewing and now it's crunch time. I still have to finish James and start on Cole and Mom gets here Friday.
Sewing aside work has been intensly busy as well, especially the Rogers TV listings stuff. Since everyone in Toronto is off over the Holidays the push is on to get any holiday ads in, which is intense. Usually I can work on them right up until a couple days before they air, but I now have to have everything that is going to on between now and January 13th done and gone. No wonder there never seems to be any time to update this blog.
Friday I spent the entire day in my office with Betty Rubin from Moncton going through pictures for here new ad. She had room in it for 9-12 images and brought 185 with her.. so it took a little while. After work we popped down to Sabastians for alittle News 88.9 party Dave Dobson was hosting.. it was fun, but damn expensive... thankfully it was a contra deal. I'm done with Sabastion's to tell the truth they are so overpriced it isn't funny... there's nothing "that Special" about the place to justify it. We had a Christmas comes early Friday at our office, thanks to a bankruptcy buyout. There was a company in Moncton that went out of business and we got all their equipment for a pretty good price. So after Dave's party we went home and spent the evening playing with our new toys.
Saturday was Brian Chisolm's anual Christmas open house... it's always very busy and lots of fun. It was a really early evening though, all the people we knew were gone by about 10 and the remainders were mostly Brian and Debbie's family so we called it an early night.
I spent Sunday sewing.
Monday I spent racing around the office trying to bring together all the elements for Betty Rubin's commercial so it could be overnighted to Ontario. I barely looked up from my computer screen all day and it was down to the wire. I was still putting the final touches on the audio at 6:20 and it had to be put to tape, packaged up and out the door delivered to same day on the west side by 7.... just made it.
Today I have a lighter work load, not as traumatic... we are going out for a company lunch a little later on (although it's almost 1 now... so it will be more a company dinner by the time we actually get around it.)

2 comments:

Christa Giles said...

Crazy, man.. but I'm going to be joining you in the hunched-over-sewing-machine pose today.. I'm making Dad a flannel work-shirt, not due to any cool family tradition, but because he was complaining that his store-bought ones seemed flimsy and fell apart too easily.

Do you have any links to ad work you've done? Would be cool to see...

And, have a good time with all the family over the holidays :) I'm up in WL with Mom n Dad n Heather (who took me out to the OV last night, for lots of sex and religion chat with her work friends, fun!) but mostly get to kick back and chill, with no work stress.

Merry Christmas, babe!

X.

Blaine Le Roy said...

I have a couple links for ad work. Mostly I post the stuff for clients to see to our website:

http://www.videosolutions.ca/rogers/rogers.htm

You need the username: television
and password : cable
to access the page

For Rogers we do those half page ads you see on the tv listings guide channell.

I am still hunched over thesewing machine even though Christmas is over... to make alterations. My sister informed us Christmas day that I would have to alter her Flannell PJ's to Maternity PJ's. So I am inserting some adjustable elastics etc.